Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Please consider helping

I received a note yesterday from a young woman named Paloma Gonzalez Rio, who has received a scholarship to attend the California College of Arts. The only thing preventing her from getting there is the plane fare to San Francisco. Is there anyone that might be able to pitch in to get her there? She can be contacted at: paloma.gonzalezrios@gmail.com.

I asked her to tell me a little bit about herself that I could share with you. Here are some of her words:

Despite financial and personal hardships, I have always considered myself to be very fortunate. I deeply believe that every single minute is to be lived with passion and force. This is my personal philosophy and the main reason behind my outgoing and positive personality.

My name is Paloma Isabella, I am 20 years old and I grew in a family of four. My mother, a single parent has always worked very hard and even with us helping in every way possible, we still live from day to day.

I was the victim of abuse but I have moved on with the help of my family's love and the strength of my mother's teachings. I have learned to turn the bad experiences into life lessons and as the years pass I continue acquiring the knowledge to search for opportunities and to take full advantage of them. All the everyday small victories have made me a hard working and focused individual that strives to find the precise equilibrium between her and the world around.
Due to my economic situation the chances of having an education past middle school were very few, more so aspiring to attend college. Despite all the odds I obtained a scholarship to the most prestigious private preparatory school in Mexico (ITESM/SACS).

This was a key experience in my academic life since it opened another window on my life, showing me an ample range of possibilities for a successful future as a human being and a professional. The abilities I developed as a student at ITESM enabled me to pursue a college education and gave me the desire to obtain every academic tool available to become a professional and to fulfill my goal of making a difference in world society.

My deep instilled moral values have always provided me with the understanding to defend the rights of others as well as my own. After surmounting so many daily difficulties I find almost any kind of obstacle is conquerable and that no matter what other trials I encounter in my future , I know for certain that through discipline and hard work I will be able to overcome them and achieve my goals.

More information:
I´m the eldest one and I´m going to be the first one in my family to pursue a higher education. My mother is the only support of my family (four dependants) and has seriously health problems. My single mother can not provide me with the possibilities to attend college.That is why after 3 long years searching, finally I obtained a great opportunity to go to College; I won the Gates Millennium Scholarship that will make possible for me to pursue a Major in Architecture, the one I love.

My mother works very hard to make ends meet and she does not have the financial means to contribute in anyway to my education-related expenses. Our economical situation is not very easy,that is why my brother, sister and I have had to win scholarships to attend school and worked independently (selling and making crafts,selling candies,etc) to contribute financially to our home.
I hope this is helpful,
Thanks in advance!!!
Paloma Gonzalez

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Update: Jan 13th.

Paloma is in Oakland, enrolled. Funds are low; spirit seems good.