Saturday, June 6, 2009

Meet Oscar Ortiz

Last night, I was sitting on my front porch eating dinner with my daughter Hannah. The boys were off at Cohen Stadium watching the Diablos get beat up. A car pulls up and out jumps Oscar Ortiz. "Are you Susie Byrd?" he asks. "I'm Oscar Ortiz, and I want your help."

Oscar is a senior at El Paso High School. He plays the trumpet, the trombone and the euphonium. He has marched in the Tiger Pride Band for three years and is a principle trombone player in the El Paso Symphony Youth Orchestra. His lifelong dream and the reason he joined band was to march in Drum Corps International, the Marching Music's Major League.

His dream just might come true. Along with 100 other students from across the country, Victor was selected to become a member of the Memphis Sound Drum and Bugle Corps. This summer they will tour the country performing and competing against other drum and bugle corps from throughout the United States and Canada. The season will culminate in early August at the Drum Corps International Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Here's the hitch. Oscar has to raise $2,600 to cover the costs of the program. So he is popping up on people's porches asking for help. I told him I would let you guys know about his dream. I'm including the video that he sent in to convince Memphis Sound Drum and Bugle Corps that he was their guy. Once you see it, you will be convinced, like I am, that Oscar needs our help. Please consider making a donation. Checks can be made to the Memphis Youth Performing Arts Association. If you want to make a donation, email me at byrdsm@elpasotexas.gov and I will give you the address where you can mail Oscar a check.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Oscar's Mom. I'd like to thank you very much for your help and this posting. Oscar has recieved two checks thanks to your post. He is currently traveling with the drum corps, working hard and having the time of his life! Again, thanks so much!